These are pics of my 1/2" litter dam that I made by cutting a toilet paper roll in half and lengthwise and rolling tightly until it's diameter was about a 1/2". It works great. It just sits in the RP hole and is secure enough on its own. The cats don't seem to care either.

I also decided to do a tip section.
Tip #1 - how to cut down on scratching litter & poo
Try treating your cats on the floor to get them to jump down and stop scratching. This works great for me. Their scratching is only bad when I don't catch them going potty. The kitties are getting smarter though. It's not nearly as messy as it was a couple of weeks ago. They don't like having #2 on their paws either. In fact the last several poo's that I've found had a clean seat. Woohoo!
Tip #2 - playing in water while flushing
When I'm scooping & cleaning up the cats want to watch the flushing ritual & participate. By participating I mean they will paw at their #1 and #2's while they are in the process of being flushed down the toilet. A tip that I got from the Yahoo TT Cat group is to put some vinegar in the toilet before I flush. The vinegar smell in the water should keep their paws out of it. I haven't tried this yet so I'll have to get back to you on it.
Tip #3 - pay attention to your cat's behavior
Yesterday, Eleanor was going around meowing and she's normally not that vocal. My husband then said 'Oh yeah she was meowing like that earlier too.' So I got up and checked the toilet and her RP was clean but it was a little bit low on litter. I put a couple of scoops of litter in it and she jumped right up and went #2. So Eleanor was telling me "Hey fill my litter box." Don't ignore a meowing cat!
Monday, December 31, 2007
Three new tips - vinegar & meows & scratching
Posted by
Shelly
at
8:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wishing you a Happy New Year that will be eventually void of cat litter!
DnS
PS. I never really understood the point of a litter dam. What is it exactly? And why do you need one?
Hi DnS,
Here's to a Happy New Year hopefully without any cat litter! A litter dam is a way to keep the kitty litter in the container without losing a bunch down the hole. I think it's helping my cats because they like their litter to be deep. Just the other day Eleanor was meowing and it was because her litter wasn't deep enough. I put a couple of scoops in and she went #2 right away. Funny!
You'll have to tell me how Litter Kwitter works out for you!
Take care & good luck,
Shelly
Post a Comment