Thursday, April 10, 2008

Shelly's Product Reviews

Hey guys. I've missed you! I'm not avoiding you but I just hate the computer. I'm online all day long at work for a high-tech online database company and after an hour commute I don't even want to look at a computer when I get home. Well here's what I've been up to lately besides crocheting 3 baby blankets.

About 3 weeks ago, I tried clipping my 8 yr old Chow's black nails. I don't know what happened. I didn't think it was too short but as I clipped it her nail seemed to disintegrate and before I knew it blood was everywhere. I have clipped the quick before but never have I seen this much blood. I used cornstarch to stop the bleeding but it just opened back up later. The cornstarch would work for a while but the wound would open up again about 3 more times. My sister in law is a vet tech and told me to use super glue... yes SUPER GLUE and it worked great! So if you ever clip the quick so bad that nothing stops the bleeding use super glue.

Koko's nails are so long and I'm afraid to clip them now. She has a vet appt later this month and I'll ask them to clip her but I really need a way to clip her myself. Have any of you heard of Peticure? Instead of clipping the animal's nails you sand them. I already ordered the dremel attachment and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I think it will work for my Koko Puff.
http://www.peticure-grooming.com/Peticure-Safe-Guard_p_0-14.html

Our kitties are easy to clip. I use just regular nail clippers. My husband holds the cat so that they lie on their back against him while he's sitting on the couch. He holds their paws up and they seem pretty relaxed this way. I do one paw and then he lets them go & they get a treat. They walk around and come back on their own 5 or 10 minutes later and we do another paw and let them go again. It works great and I think they actually like it. I'm sure the treats help. :)

About 2 months ago, I bought the large Pet Mate Deluxe Fresh Flow for the kitties. They loved it. It was kindof expensive about $36 at the Little Critters pet store but I had $10 off for spending over $200 dollars there over a year. I'm definitely glad I got the large one. The reservoir is large enough that you only need to clean & fill it about twice a week. The charcoal filter (kinda like what you use in fish tank filters) I had to throw away because my brat cat, Eleanor, pokes her paw into the hole and rips apart the filter. Not only does brat cat rip the filter but she is fascinated by water and paws at the reservoir until the top comes off. Easy solution for this though.. it first I tried putting a big elastic band around it to cat proof it but silly me that didn't work. Brat cat destroyed the elastic too. What does work is duct tape... I duct tape the top of the fountain in place every time I clean it and it is now cat proofed! One tip if you get one of these fountains... be sure to pull out the pump each time and rinse it out and remove the cat hair. I always have cat hair in my pump.

Another great product I found is the Hoover Nano Lite. I absolutely love this cute little vacuum. I only spent $50 on it at Walmart over a month ago and I now don't dread vacuuming anymore. Koko sheds all year long and my old Dirt Devil bagless Swivel Glide vacuum was over 10 years old which I purchase for over $200 and it was heavy and smelled like Koko fur even if I replaced the hepa filter. The Hoover Nano Lite is a dream it's cute, small, light, great on carpets, and it's even bagless! It doesn't work that great on bare floors, the suction hose for the tools is too short and the power cord isn't that long but for $50 who cares. I love it.

Do you have any product recommendations?

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com